Chapter 33 (Post 9/11): VA’s New Monthly Verification of Enrollment Policy
Starting Friday, December 17, 2021, all students using Chapter 33 (Post 9/11) GI Bill® Educational Benefits, who receive Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) and/or kicker payments will be required monthly to verify their enrollment status monthly to continue receiving their payments.
WHAT IS ENROLLMENT VERIFICATION?
This is different from the enrollment certification process before the beginning of each semester that is completed by the college’s certifying official. The new monthly enrollment verification is a Veteran Affairs requirement for Post 9/11 GI Bill® students to certify that they have remained enrolled in the same courses the college has previously certified.
HOW DO I VERIFY ENROLLMENT?
Via Text Message (Easiest and fastest method):
- To opt-in contact the Education Call Center (ECC) at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) to ensure the VA has your mobile phone number
- After opting-in, you can verify your enrollment by responding to a text message from the VA
- NOTE: the VA will never ask for your personal information, for example, social security number or bank account number via text
Via Education Call Center:
- Contact the Education Call Center (ECC) at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) and ask the representative to verify enrollment on your behalf
- NOTE: Wait times may be high due to the number of students verifying each month
- If you opt-out of text verification and later change your mind, or need to change your mobile number, call the ECC at 1-888GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551)
FAILURE TO VERIFY ENROLLMENT:
If you fail to verify your information for two consecutive months, your monthly payments will be placed on hold. You will then have to take additional steps to verify your enrollment and have the payments released.
For more information, click here: https://youtu.be/MKq-reD01ZA