Veterans Educational Benefits

The Veterans Administration determines the eligibility of students requesting Veterans Educational benefits. The College will process the necessary documentation; certify enrollment and the students’ academic progress. Students who are receiving veteran’s educational benefits are required to maintain satisfactory academic progress. Prospective students who are eligible, or believe they may be eligible to receive veteran’s educational benefits, should contact the Director of Financial Aid at the College for further information.

Allowing Veterans to Attend or Participate in Courses Pending VAB Payment

Veteran’s Benefits

Southside College of Health Sciences (SCHS) is approved to offer GI Bill educational benefits by the Virginia State Approving Agency.

Depending on the Program qualifications you may be eligible for, GI Bill that pays benefits in 4 areas:

  1. Tuition
  2. Fees
  3. Book Stipend
  4. Monthly Housing and Meal Allowances (MHA)

The following documents are required for SCHS to process your request to use GI Bill benefits.

  • DD-214 if applicable (1 time only)
  • Certificate of Eligibility (COE-First Time you apply-1 time only) or Letter of Remaining Benefits (every semester-provided to you by the VA)

For transfer students who have used GI Bill at another College or University, Request for Change of Training Location or Program form (

  • Form VA 22-1995 for Active Duty, Veterans, Reserves and National Guard
  • Form VA 22-5495 for Dependents

A Veteran earns GI Bill benefits under the Department of Defense resources while serving their country. When the Veteran wants to cash in their benefits, the funds will come from Veterans Affairs money. The Certificate of Eligibility (COE) is your documentation that you have been approved to utilize the benefit you have earned. The COE can be obtained online at It will detail how many months of benefits and the percentage of payout for which you qualify. In order to transfer benefits to dependents, the sponsor must apply for a new COE in the student’s name.

  • A GI Bill benefits package must be submitted as soon as the student is admitted to SCHS or 30 days minimum before classes start.
  • All payments from the VA will come by Electronic Transfer of Funds (Direct Deposit) either directly to SCHS or to the student. The closer to school start the package is submitted, the longer it will take for the VA to process your request and issue payment.
  • Financial aid may be used in conjunction with GI Bill benefits. Apply at (school code:012744)

Verification of Enrollment for Chapters 30, 1606, 1607

Student receiving Chapter 30, 1606, 1607, must verify their enrollment monthly by Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or by calling 1-877-823-2378 Interactive Voice Response (IVR).The earliest students can verify their enrollment is the last calendar day of each month.

Pending Payment Compliance (Delayed Payment Policy)

In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679(e), SCHS adopts the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post-9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from VA. SCHS will not:

  • Prevent the student’s enrollment;
  • Assess a late penalty fee to the student;
  • Require the student to secure alternative or additional funding;
  • Deny the student access to any resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution.

However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to:

  • Produce the VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE) and the VA In House Enrollment Certification Form, located on RES 100 (SCHS internal form), 30 days following acceptance into SCHS;
    • Failure to submit the COE within 30 days following acceptance into SCHS, will result in the student being responsible for other making payment arrangements for the semester’s tuition and fees.
    • Following the start of the semester, the student has until the add/drop date to submit the COE for the current semester in which they are enrolled.
  • Complete payment arrangements if your benefits do not cover all costs. Make sure that you have payment arrangements in place so that your classes don’t get dropped;
  • Notify the Veteran’s Certifying Official if you have exhausted your VA educational benefits or changed your address (An address change must also be reported to the VA).